Toast the New Year with this deliciously easy classic cocktail! Delicately flavored with green notes of gin and fresh lemon that compliment the bubbly, this drink will be the perfect cocktail to clink glasses to.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 cocktail
Pairs well with: light appetizers and dark chocolates
- 1.5 ounces of Gin
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 3-5 ounces of Prosecco or other sparkling wine
- Lemon peel for garnish (optional)
- Make your simple syrup: mix ½ cup water and ½ cup granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium to high heat, stir, and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Remove pan from heat and let cool. This can easily be made up to a week ahead of time and stored in the fridge for later use.
- In a cocktail shaker, add your fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, and gin.
- Fill shaker halfway with ice, cover, and shake well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Strain into your champagne glass, then it top off with the chilled Prosecco.
- Add your garnish, and Cheers!
- Tanqueray Gin is lovely for this drink, but Bombay Sapphire or Aviation Gin would be great as well.
- Not a fan of Gin? No problem! Substitute it with your favorite vodka.
- Other seasonal citrus can be substituted for the fresh lemon juice such as Clementine or Blood Orange.
- Make sure to chill your bubbly and Gin beforehand to keep your drink nice and crisp.
Photos by Marla Smith Photography