If you want super cute drink displays like the one shown above, you either need to order extra long paper straws OR use my easy fix method:
- Order the cute paper straws of your choosing – in this pic I used Birch pattern.
- Order plain white plastic straws like these.
- Hold your paper straw inside your bottle and approximate how much longer it needs to be in order to stand above the edge of the bottle and look pretty.
- Measure out and cut the amount you decided in Step 3 on a non-flex end of the plain white straws but be sure to add around 1/8″ to the length.
- Insert the white plastic straw piece into the paper one and voila!: you have an extension that results in a pretty display! I sometimes have to bend the plastic straw a bit to get it to fit in the paper one. Be sure to do this gently so that it bounces back to original round shape and creates a good seal between the two straws.
- Make a test bottle with generic string or dental floss and then use this piece as your measure guide. I liked the look of wrapping the twine around 2 times because this is thicker twine but if using thinner baker’s twine I’d suggest 3 times around.
- After you’ve measured and tied the twine on, slip any embellishment that you’d like in under the twine. I added a tiny dab of hot glue to the feathers to be sure they stayed on.
Feature Photo by Laura Taylor Photography