Here is a fast side salad with surprising flavors that wake up your taste buds. A wonderful sweet salty dish to bring to potlucks and your 4th of July BBQ!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: 4-6 as a side dish
Pairs well with: Grilled chicken or steak, and a crisp white wine.
- 6 Cups of watermelon chopped into a 1 inch dice
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp. Maldon sea salt
- In a large bowl, add your chopped watermelon, chopped mint leaves, and blueberries.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil and lime juice.
- Pour it over the watermelon mixture, add the sea salt, and mix well until fully coated.
- Gently fold in the crumbled feta cheese.
- I find the smaller personal sized watermelons taste much sweeter and yield the perfect amount of cut fruit for this dish, however this recipe can easily be doubled to accommodate using a larger watermelon.
- This salad is best served right away, but can be made up to an hour in advance, however not much longer as the lime will start to break it down.
- If mixed too much, the crumbled feta will start to coat the watermelon, so if you leave the feta in bigger chunks and gently fold it in right before serving, the watermelon will keep its vibrant color.
- Kosher salt can easily be substituted for the Maldon sea salt.