A classic beloved treat that gets updated with all kinds of fun goodies! These are delicious any time of year, but especially on those dusky hot summer nights after running through the sprinkler. The toppings are endless, the sky’s the limit! I’ve taken these to BBQ’s, pool parties, and even my kiddo’s classroom on her birthday. The kids loved having a different treat other than the usual birthday cupcakes. Smiles all around!
Prep time: 2-3 hours to freeze the bananas, 15 minutes to dip and top them
- 4 medium sized bananas, cut equally into thirds
- 2 Cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 wooden popsicle sticks
- Topping options: mini M&M’s, mini chocolate chips, rainbow sprinkles, shredded coconut, chopped candied ginger (my favorite!), crushed graham crackers, chopped hazelnuts, crushed potato chips, chocolate sprinkles, crushed Butterfinger candy bar (another favorite!), crushed cracker jacks
- Cut each of the four bananas equally into thirds, and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan. Gently insert a Popsicle stick halfway into the end of each banana, being careful not to split the banana.
- Set your bananas into the freezer and freeze them for about an hour or until frozen. This helps set the Popsicle stick so it doesn’t slide out when you dip the banana into the chocolate.
- When you are about ready to dip you bananas into the chocolate, set up your topping station and make sure to have all of your topping ingredients ready first, as you will have to work quickly to top them before the chocolate sets. This is important!
- In a 2 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup, melt down your chocolate chips for one minute, stir, then in 20 second increments until just fully melted and glossy when stirred.
- Take your sheet pan with the bananas out of the freezer, and place next to your dipping station. Dip the frozen banana into the melted chocolate, and immediately sprinkle it with your desired topping, and set it back onto the parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat for all the bananas.
- Place your dipped bananas back into the freezer and freeze for another hour or so, then gently place them into a gallon zip lock bag and store in the freezer for up to one month.
- These are best using bananas that are just about ripe, meaning no green, and little to no brown spots on the skin.
- If you are using larger bananas, you will need more chocolate, so add a generous handful of chocolate chips to the two cups of chocolate chips before melting them all down in the microwave.
- Feel free to use a double boiler over the stovetop to melt down your chocolate instead of using the microwave.
- Mix and match your toppings! Favorite combos in our house are: mini chocolate chips/graham cracker crumbs, shredded coconut/crushed hazelnut, candied ginger/crushed potato chips. Use your imagination; this is a very forgiving dessert!
- These keep well in the freezer, a great treat to have at the ready. The bananas, however, will turn brown quickly if left out for too long, so they are best enjoyed about 10-15 minutes after you pull them from the freezer.
- Make a huge batch and munch on these all summer long!
All photos by Marla Smith Photography