Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler (which means Let the Good Times Roll) and is a greeting you hear throughout New Orleans around Mardi Gras time! Here is a simplified version of the classic Hurricane cocktail for you to enjoy now or anytime of the year!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Serves: 1 cocktail
Pairs well with: Spicy seafood dishes, NOLA cuisine, and Jazz
- 1 oz. light rum
- 1 oz. orange juice
- 1 oz. pineapple juice
- 2 oz. Mango Nectar* (see notes)
- ½ oz. Amaretto
- 1 oz. dark rum
- 1 Tbsp. grenadine
- Orange wedge
- Maraschino cherry
- Fill your hurricane glass with ice
- Pour in your light rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, and mango nectar.
- Give a quick stir, then gently pour in your grenadine, it will sink to the bottom giving it a blush hue.
- Next pour in your Amaretto.
- To top it off, with a light hand, slowly pour your dark rum over the top to create a rum float
- Garnish and serve.
- *Mango Nectar can be found at most grocery stores sold in single cans. Popular brands are: Kerns, Jumex, Goya, and Langers
- Traditional Hurricane recipes call for Passion fruit syrup, so if you have that on hand, you can swap out the mango nectar and grenadine for it.
- Serve on a platter with festive drink stirrers so your guests can stir in the rum float. These drinks look impressive in numbers.
- If you don’t have grenadine, you can use the juice from the maraschino cherry jar instead.
All Photos by Marla Smith Photography