Prep time: 20 minutes
Pairs well with: Roast Chicken or Turkey , and a crisp glass of white wine
- 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 blood orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 naval or cara cara orange, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 mandarin oranges, peeled and chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced, white and green parts
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 10 oz. package of salad, spring mix
Optional protein add-ins:
- Chunks of Turkey from your thanksgiving leftovers
- Grilled or rotisserie chicken
- A cup of prepared quinoa
- Chopped cooked bacon
- In a Mason jar or small bowl, whisk together all of the citrus vinaigrette ingredients and set aside.
- Put your spring mix into a large salad bowl and drizzle in the vinaigrette. Stir the lettuce gently until the leaves are covered in the vinaigrette.
- Add in your oranges, scallions, avocado, pomegranate and pecans.
- Add in optional protein if using, and serve.
- The vinaigrette can be made up to three days ahead of time, just keep in the refrigerator and give it a good whisking before use.
- This makes a great after thanksgiving lunch the next day by adding in your turkey which pairs well with the citrus.
- To make it even healthier, swap out the spring mix for kale.
Photos by Marla Smith Photography