Prep time: 5 minutes to make the margarita, 45 minutes to steep the syrup
Pairs well with: Mexican food, tortilla chips and salsa, and Thai food. This sweet and tangy Margarita is also lovely served with a salty savory cheese plate.
For the Margarita:
- 2 ounces Cointreau
- 4 ounces Silver Tequila
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
Hibiscus Ginger Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3 Tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- ¼ cup loose leaf dried hibiscus tea
To make the Margarita:
In a cocktail shaker, add Cointreau, Tequila, lime juice, and 1-2 ounces of the hibiscus ginger syrup depending on your desired sweetness. Add ice, cover, and shake vigorously. Strain into two margarita glasses filled with ice.
To make the Hibiscus Syrup:
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the loose leaf hibiscus tea and grated ginger root. Let steep for 45 minutes. Strain the syrup into a glass jar and discard the solids. Cover, and keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
- Plan ahead! Since this syrup keeps well refrigerated, you can make it days earlier than you plan to serve it, a great cocktail to have at the ready.
- Make sure your loose leaf hibiscus tea is 100% hibiscus and not mixed with any other ingredients that may muddle up the flavor.
- This versatile Hibiscus Ginger syrup is not just for Margaritas, it is wonderful used to sweeten up iced tea, or mixed with plain seltzer water over ice for a tropical refreshment for you and the kiddos.
- If you want to salt the rims of your margarita glasses, run the rim of the empty glasses with a slice of lime and dip each rim into ¼ cup of kosher salt sprinkled onto a shallow plate to cover.
- In a pinch, Cointreau can be substituted with Triple Sec or Grand Marnier with great results.
- My favorite tequila for margaritas is Camarena Tequila Silver. It has a smooth, versatile flavor that compliments many cocktails, and has a nice price point to boot.