This Cupcake Station was done for an art party but you can do this for any theme including holiday parties.
Here’s how to do it:
- Cover a study table with a heavy gauge plastic tablecloth; consider if taping them on like a present versus risking them blow away or slide around.
- Choose whether you want to have the guest standing or seated while decorating. I found the rainbow chairs a couple of months ago for our playroom and they went perfectly with the theme.
- Depending on the size of your cupcake decorating table, either set up the supplies on the same table or opt for a nearby side table like I did.
- For the prettiest presentation, use a tiered display like the glass cake plates shown here or one of the white cardboard or foil ones that are readily available.
- Make, order from a bakery, or buy at a grocery store: simple cupcakes with no decoration on them. The ones here are from Safeway and were sold in 24-piece packs.
- Buy a variety of sprinkles and display them in clear glass bowls and add small spoons to each bowl.
- Buy white plastic paint palates like the ones shown (or opt for the variation below that skips palates).
- Set up a few paint palates ahead of time with a cupcake in the center and a variety of sprinkles in the little outer pockets; place them on the decorating table at each placesetting.
- To assemble the favor once the kids are finished: take a clear hard plastic tumbler (the low 9 oz ones) and slip a cute paper cupcake holder into the bottom, drop the cupcake into the cup, insert into a clear plastic treat bag and tie with a cute ribbon or baker’s twine. Be sure to insert it into the correct child’s goodie bag right away or write their name on the side with a sharpie marker.
Variation for large crowds or if you want to skip the paint palates: just pre-place the cups, cute cupcake liner and cupcake together and set the variety of sprinkles along the center of the table with spoons. This makes it easier to pack them as favors!
I hope your guests enjoy this activity as much as Reina’s friends did!
All photos by Marla Smith
*This contains links only because No Qualms Mom thinks highly of the product or service. Any link here is purely information–listed only to help you. Some NQM posts may contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission from some sellers if you buy from them, yet know that using the links does not affect your pricing in any way.